Crash and Burn Racing

A community consiting of amatuer GTR2 sim racers looking for as many members as possible.

HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Race Two, Revenge is Sweet.
Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:31 pm by Mike

» Round 1: Donington Park National 2004 GP 2/9/08
Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:07 am by Mike

» LOA : 18th - 22nd Aug
Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:43 pm by Mike

» The future
Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:58 pm by Mike

» Hello Everyone
Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:30 pm by Mike

» Future Mondays
Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:16 pm by Mike

» Project Torque
Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:23 pm by Mike

» GTR-Evolution
Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:18 pm by Mike

» Please Read!
Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:40 pm by Mike

December 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum

Share | 

Pit Stops?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MarkB
GTR2er

PostSubject: Pit Stops?   Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:09 pm

I think the two main aspects about GT racing are the endurance of the car and pitstops. A ten lap race is all well and good but if the first into the first corner doesn't decide the winner then it's down to risking your car and your opponents on risky moves, which imho isn't racing and total unrealistic.

So, what are the founding fathers ideas about race length and pitstops?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alex
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pit Stops?   Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:27 pm

Personally I like to see short sprint races with overtaking, it measures the driver's priorities between how far hes willing to go off the line to get the position and if hes fast enough to keep it aswell as on the right line to keep it. Endurances are more a team effort in which the pit crew plays a lrger part.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cabr.forumotion.com
MarkB
GTR2er

PostSubject: Re: Pit Stops?   Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:49 pm

Alex wrote:
how far hes willing to go off the line to get the position and if hes fast enough to keep it aswell as on the right line to keep it.

As long as that isn't 'how far a driver is prepared to risk taking himself and the other driver out of the race and then have a 10 minute arguement about who should have given way'.

I'm here for an enjoyable race, I'd rather come last and have all the grid finish in a good race rather than being taken off by someone who thought it was a good idea to attempt to squeeze through an impossible overtaking manouver in the name of 'fun'

I don't think anyone would like to have put in hours of practise in the week to see a fellow driver take them out of the race on the first lap due to reckless over taking

In my mind short sprint races breed reckless driving. A night of driving 3-4 sessions of 10 laps has no consequence to the driver if they come off and take anyone else with them. 'Hey, there is another race in 9 laps time and I'll get a brand new undamaged car!'. But, if thats what the majority wants and I'm in the minority then so be it.

I can't accept that in a simulation where all pit crew are of the same ability that pitstops are more of a team effort, especially since it's nothing to do with the 'team' when you come in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alex
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pit Stops?   Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:35 pm

Very valid point. We are here for friendly racing not do anything to win racing. If your damaged, pit in, dont quit, etc.etc.

Any overtaking must be calculated and have an 80% chance of success at least.
Back to top Go down
MarkB
GTR2er

PostSubject: Re: Pit Stops?   Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:29 pm

Alex wrote:
Very valid point. We are here for friendly racing not do anything to win racing. If your damaged, pit in, dont quit, etc.etc.

Any overtaking must be calculated and have an 80% chance of success at least.
Sorry to take this futher but I think it's worth getting this sorted now.

If we're doing short sprints, say 10 laps, then any form of pitstop will effectively remove you from the race. Pitstops for damaged suspension or damaged panels can put you at least 1 lap down. You're now depending on the rest of the field having to also take a pitstop rather than your driving skills, there is no way even the most dedicated driver is not going be able to pull that lap back when there are only 7-8 laps remaining and you're back out on cold tyres and brakes.

See this ill timed overtaking against myself that ended up taking out myself plus another 3 drivers, all because the other chap wanted to get passed on the corner instead of waiting for the straight.

I'm not saying 'we must do this my way' but I do think we have to look at all the possibilities first. Short races are probably fast and fun but one false move and it's race over imho. If short races are the way forward then issues such as restarts (see Racing Rules thread) have to be issued now.

On a racing night when we might be seeing 3-4 race sessions I think a blanket rule is No Restarts or we could be there all night! Plus, what kind of qualification session are we going to see? EG Who wants to run a qualify session which could be as long or longer than what the race will be? Short qualifying will just see all of us jump on the track at once and then followed by 'Hey, I was on a flying lap then' arguements.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike
GTR2er

PostSubject: Re: Pit Stops?   Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:54 pm

Agree 100% its about enduro.

However my car doesn't want to get away after a pit stop, it just doesn't start up and I cant find out why. However if it starts at 1 is that quali? Race start at 2 till.... we could have a 2 hour? or 3? meaning 2 or 3 pitstiops. Depending on the track you could do a sprint and an enduro race.

Back to top Go down
MarkB
GTR2er

PostSubject: Re: Pit Stops?   Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:02 pm

Mike wrote:
Agree 100% its about enduro.

However my car doesn't want to get away after a pit stop, it just doesn't start up and I cant find out why. However if it starts at 1 is that quali? Race start at 2 till.... we could have a 2 hour? or 3? meaning 2 or 3 pitstiops. Depending on the track you could do a sprint and an enduro race.
Are you using the mod HUD (GTR-XD I think it's called). I believe a few people have this problem using that mod.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike
GTR2er

PostSubject: Re: Pit Stops?   Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:50 pm

Er yes I actually might =\ any way I can rectify the situation?

Back to top Go down
MarkB
GTR2er

PostSubject: Re: Pit Stops?   Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:56 pm

Take it off, which I think is just a DLL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike
GTR2er

PostSubject: Re: Pit Stops?   Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:10 am

I'll look into it.

Back to top Go down
Mike
GTR2er

PostSubject: Re: Pit Stops?   Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:54 pm

Sorry for double post but is this an installed thing?

I only reinstalled it the other day and it still doesn't work :S so what can I do?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pit Stops?   

Back to top Go down

Pit Stops?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Crash and Burn Racing :: The Paddock Club :: General Chat-
Jump to: